Here are the principles that guide the VeloNomad editorial content, reviews and every pixel you see on the screen when you visit VeloNomad.com.
- VeloNomad is a business and it helps pay my mortgage. As such, I seek to make an income from it wherever I can, wherever it makes sense to, and where it doesn’t affect the user experience on the site.
- Affiliate links – I use affiliate links when I recommend products. I almost always disclose when I do. If I don’t disclose this, assume I will rectify that soon. If it helps you, assume every link to any product is an affiliate link.
Affiliate commissions are usually around 2-5%. If you buy something from one of my reviews, let’s say for $100, I’ll get 2.50.
I’ll generally link to Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Evans and Expedia (ha! See what I did there? I even try and make money in my disclosure policy!).
- Advertising – from time to time I accept ads on the site. At no point do advertisers or advertising income compromise the editorial integrity of the site. If I am reviewing something that was sent to me by a company, and the product is crap, I’ll tell you.
Advertising is a secondary focus of the site so you can be sure I won’t be scrambling for your attention just so I can slam you with ads. This is another reason I actually charge for products and services and don’t just give everything away (which is a poor business model). It’s better for you (less ads) and better for me.
As of Sept 2012, the only ads are affiliate banners and ads for two of my other enterprises, Wherespresso.com and MaydayCoffee.com.au.
- Contra – occasionally I receive contra product, or a discount off something, from companies in return for a review, or advertorial, or editorial or some combination of those. If this happens, I will tell you.
- I make money from selling ebooks I write, and services I offer. It is blindingly obvious when this happens. Because, you know, you’ll have your credit card out or are logging in to Paypal.
- My other interests are Wherespresso.com – coffee/cafe finding and review iPhone app and website – and Mayday Coffee – coffee of the month subscriptions and coffee gifts.
Please remember: the vast majority of content on VeloNomad.com is free, but VeloNomad.com is not a charity. Some of the content is free for a reason (to attract readers) and some is not free for a reason – so I can make money from providing useful services and products.
If this doesn’t sit well with you and you prefer a site where there are no ads and everything is free, I’d suggest VeloNomad is not for you.
For a more hilarious take on this sort of stuff, read John Chow’s disclosure policy.
Here is a list of service providers I am an affiliate of. You can assume that I earn money from them.
Remember, those 3-5% comms ain’t buying me a garage full of Wiliers, Times and Looks, nor a Range Rover to drive them around in, but they sure are appreciated.